Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Sewing Machine

Air: Charcoal Man...........Sung by Tony Pastor.

I am one of those unlucky chaps, who once did fall in love
 With such a nice good-looking girl, who seem'd just like a dove.
 Her hair was long and black, and as curly as ever was seen,
 And she said: she got her livelihood by working a sewing-machine.

CHORUS.

So, I fairly lost my heart..now I wish I never had seen
 That dark young-girl, with her hair in curl, that worked at a sewing-machine.
 I saw her, first, in Chatham Street, in such a dashing shop,
 Working Singer's No. 2: at the window I did stop..
 By the signs that passed between us.. Barnum's Museum she'd not seen;
 But she promised to meet, if I'd stand treat, when she'd done at the sewing-machine.

Well, I took her to the Museum, and for the two I paid;
 And while we walked about the rooms, she said: I feel afraid
 That I shall lose my money: then she gave me such a look,
 And said: dear sir, will you take care of this my pocket-book!

I told her not to be afraid, I'd guard it with my life,
 And thought how happy I should be, if she was my dear wife!
 Then, I heard the cry of: Stop thief! and, before a word I could say,
 was collar'd so tight.. and out of my sight my girl bad bolted away!

I asked them what they meant by it, I asked them if they knew
 Who I was? when they replied: I should rather think we do;
 For, officers are we, and of nailing a watch you're accused,
 And beware what you say: for, against you, some day, as evidence it may be used.

Next morning, I was taken up and the officers did tell
 The Magistrate: that they thought to the Police I was known quite well:
 Tho' the watch had not been found on him, the police he does fear:
 For, from him we took a pocket-book containing a bundle of QUEER.

The Magistrate then looked at me and asked: what can you say!
 I told him how I came possessed of the book, the previous day;
 I got it from a nice young girl, her age about seventeen:
 She was a fine young girl, with her hair in curl, and she worked a sewing-machine.

The Magistrate then shook his head, and said: That tale won't do,
 I'll remand you for a week or so, to see what's known of you.
 Tho' nothing 'gainst me could be found, yet everywhere they'd been,
 Still I got three months at Blackwell's-Isle, where I learned to tread a machine!

So, single men, I pray: beware! and of my song take heed:
 Of Sewing-Machine girls pray take care, or you'll be lost indeed.
 Avoid their fascinating glance: if you do not, I ween
 You'll surely get in trouble with them or their Machine!

II DE MARSAN, Publisher,
 60 Chatham str. New-York.

No comments: